An iPod video converter is a software that will allow you to quickly convert your computer media files (avi, MPEG etc) to a format supported by your iPod. This way you can download, transfer, convert and watch all kind of movies, TV shows and other video files on your iPod. There are a lot of free iPod converters out there and most of them include extra software that will allow you to download video before converting it and playing it in your iPod.
Here is what to look for when choosing a free iPod video converter:
- The video converter software must support as many video file formats as possible (avi, mpeg, wmv, mov, divx are just some popular formats). There are video converters that also support conversion of popular audio files (wav, mp3, ogg, m4a etc). Check out if all the necessary encoders and decoders are included in the software.
- The video conversion speed. A lot of converters while they support all the possible video formats, they are really slow and sometimes they freeze causing a lot of frustration. Many video converters do not support multithreading and batch conversion making the process of video conversion a pain. Batch conversion will allow you to convert more than one video files at the same time.
- The user interface must be friendly and designed in a way that will allow even a total newbie to access all the controls and functions of the video converter software. If a software company creates a user friendly iPod video converter, chances are that the video converter will work properly apart from being user friendly.
- Check out if the iPod video converter allows you to convert a part/segment of the movie. This is a demand if you want to watch just a part of a movie show or a football game. Be sure to use the preview feature if any, to see the output result before converting.
- The quality of the converted media file. Many iPod video converters are really fast but the output is disappointing. Video freezes, audio stops playing, screen turns red or green, short audio or video breaks during playback. This is common for some video converters. Especially if you don’t know how to use the conversion process properly. Be careful when adjusting video size, bit rate etc.
Before installing any iPod video converter make sure you have the latest version of firmware for your iPod in order to get the most out of the video converter software. Download the latest firmware for your iPod for free at the apple website.